Mr. Aggie, the award given to a player who displays what it is to be a true student-athlete at NM State, was given to sophomore outfielder, Joseph Koerper of the Aggie baseball team. Christy Barela of the track and field/cross country team and Terrin Seaver of the swimming and diving team were both chosen for the Ms. Aggie award.
Former NM State football player, Miles Washington, sustained a serious injury that was diagnosed as a cervical fracture of the spinal cord during a practice on April 13, 2013. For the courage he displayed through his battle towards recovery, an award was named after him that is intended to be given to the male and female student-athlete who persevered through adverse circumstances and represented NM State with pride. Clint Barnard of the Aggie football team and Jenna Banegas from track & field were the male and female recipients of this award.
The Male and Female Athlete of the Year award was essentially the MVP trophy of the night. This award was given to the male and female athletes who performed exceptionally well within their sport. Junior outfielder, Staci Rodriguez was chosen as the Female Athlete of the Year while junior guard, Daniel Mullings was selected as the Male Athlete of the Year.
The women’s volleyball team walked away with the Female Team of the Year award, while the Male Team of the Year award was given to both the men’s golf and the men’s basketball team.
A complete list of this year’s award winners are below:
· Assistant Coach of the Year: Tamara Inoue - Women’s Basketball
· Underdog Performance of the Year: Women’s Equestrian vs. TCU
· Team Performance of the Year: Softball vs. Arizona for Longest Win Streak
· Comeback Aggie: Elena Holguin - Women’s Basketball
· Mr. Aggie: Joseph Koerper - Baseball
· Ms. Aggie: Christy Barela - Track & Field/Cross Country & Terrin Seaver - Swimming & Diving
· Female Aggie Newcomer of the Year: Fiana Finau - Softball
· Male Aggie Newcomer of the Year: D.K. Eldridge - Men’s Basketball
· Female Athlete of the Year: Staci Rodriguez - Softball
· Male Athlete of the Year: Daniel Mullings - Men’s Basketball
· Miles Washington Courage Award: Clint Barnard - Football
· Female Miles Washington Courage Award: Jenna Banegas - Track & Field
· Female Team of the Year: Volleyball
· Male Team of the Year: Men’s Basketball & Men’s Golf
· Most Valuable Professor: Dr. James Peach
· Best Action Shot: Kevin Aronis - Men’s Basketball
· Best Celebration: Football Celebration vs. Texas
· Best Team Video: Men’s Golf